Q & A Askdryahya Series:Health Matters
سلسلة سؤال وجواب مع الدكتور يحيى
Arab American Encyclopedia – Alternative Medicine
Part 1 الحلقة الأولى
Q. What are the benefits of lemon and Lime?السؤال: ما فوائد الليمون الأخضر والليمون الأصفر ؟
A. First of all, There are five ways lemons and limes keep You healthy:
- It Protects your skin from Cancer. Just by adding a slice of lemon to your beverages, or zest to you baking, or even squeezing fresh lemon juice on your food before eating, will make a difference in the long run. This big difference, according to a study of almost 500 people, may mean not getting squamous cell skin cancer.
- The key to lemons’ anti-cancer power is dlimonene, a chemical that gives citrus fruits their smell. It’s mostly in the zest, so you will need to shave off this outermost, colored section of the peel to get the cancer fighter. But incorporating citrus peel into your food is easy and tasty and can afford extra protection against chronic diseases. Just use the smaller teeth of a hand grater or a sharp knife. You can even buy a tool called a citrus zester that is perfect for the job.
- Puts the Squeeze on Heart Disease Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant. Studies show it raises good HDL cholesterol and helps prevent bad LDL cholesterol from becoming oxidized and forming plaques, which can clog your arteries. Vitamin C also helps lower blood pressure and strengthens your capillaries.
- It Gives Tea More Punch: A little lemon juice can go a long way. According to a recent study from India, just a squirt or two in a cup of tea unleashes that drink’s full power to stop free radicals. Tea contains potent antioxidants, but your body cannot take full advantage of them until you add lemon. The lemon juice breaks down the antioxidants in the tea, making them easier for your stomach to absorb.
- Finally, Lemons contain an antioxidant that may protect your skin from the ravages of time. According to scientists from Italy, this chemical – called Lem1 – stopped the free radicals that cause the signs of aging even better than vitamin E. www.hasanyahya.com