Eight Methods for Children Behavior: 2MW/Dr. Yahya
Hasan Yahya, Ph.ds, Palestinian Sociologist and Historian
Parents, for sure, are the most concerned of their children behavior. It is may be the most powerful discipline tools available for them are those that promote understanding, learning, self esteam of children, and to prevent a misbehavior before occurring. Here are a few of the basic methods parents may use with children of all ages:
- First of all, as parent, you are considered a role model for your kids to learn from you. They really imitate your words and behavior in early age. Even the tune of your voice. Good conduct through words and acts to show respect of others and treat them in positive respective way is good to be followed by kids. I used to say to my children, after playing with their toys all over the playing room, these words: “time for cleaning up”. And children immediately act positively by collecting the toys, putting them in their boxes of places, and return the room clean. Other good words for learning good behavior are : please, and thank you as a start.
As Prent, it is recommended not to use direct orders, like. Come and eat. Or stop this! Or don’t hurt yourself. but statement, to deal with these situations you may use : Food is ready, I like you to be safe, or “you were playing the past hour with this, I like to see you playing with other toy? Those who do home work get to high marks. And “Guess what? Cindrella is doing her homework.”
- Allow your children to make their mistakes, they learn from their mistakes, but don’t tolerate behavior that hurts others, like hitting, swearing, or using fest. You as parent have to learn child development stages and what behavior is typical to each stage. For example, their personal growth and their ability, because what looks for you abnormal is in fact, normal behavior.
- As parent, you have to learn about causes of child frustration, and stress. Yes, they have moments to show stress and confusion. Ask them what bather them, especially the girls, they have moments of strange actions. You have to build trust with your children to open up dialogue with them. Ask for their help, they will feel of their self-confident and ego.
In many cases, children ignore the rules of many things, when it comes to enjoyment of what they like. For instance, watching certain games on TV. Give them a schedule to follow, and promise to give them rewards, include in it, after 30 minutes, we have to play chess for one hour, then we will have lunch. Then the reward: going to the Ice-cream shop. In case they follow the schedule.
- Praise is good reward. To let children excel more next time, I remember in learning spelling words, one of my children got one time less than a perfect point. Using new method of rewarding and training in different ways, by using chalks, writing the words on air, and uttering words and then spelling them loudly, he began to get a complete 100 points. Then he followed the same practice, and continued to get excellent marks.
- Involvement in certain activities for children is temptation to do well and learn. For example, involve them to organize their beds, dressing on their own, preparing their bags, in addition the daily routine of typical things like, doing the four things, Wash, Brush, Floss, Flush, before having breakfast. Let them measure their speed, help them to do their own tables, write it down, and analyze it. By doing that according to timer, they may become able to compare results across days or weeks, this activity helps children in doing research.
And finally, as a parent, give short instructions, and give more time to listen for feedback. Encourage your children to share discussions of pictures, programs, books, etc.,. Especially on what they like and what they dislike. Educators and psychologists give this advice for you: “The most important tool to use to promote good behavior, and in the same time prevent misbehavior is showing unconditional love and affection toward your children.(708 words) www.hasanyahya.com
- *** Note for readers: If you liked this, please let other people know about it. You may contact the writer using this site. Thank you!
- Special Thanks to male and female principles and teachers who selected some of my publications. I appreciate their great work in bringing up our children in Diaspora.
Hasan Yahya is a Palestinian Sociologist and Historian, former professor of Comparative Sociology and Educational Administration at Michigan State University and Jackson Community College. He is the Board Editing member at International Humanities Studies (IHS) Journal. Dr. Yahya is the originator of Arab American Encyclopedia and Ihyaa al Turath al Arabi fil Mahjar-USA. His publication may be observed on Amazon and Kindle. To reach the writer: Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Yahya Credentials:
Ph.D in Comparative Socioloy 1991, Michigan State University.
Ph.D in Educational Administration, Michigan State Univ.
M.A Psychology of Schhols Conflict Management, Michigan State Univ.
Diploma M.A, Oriental Studies, St. Joseph Univ. Beirut, Lebanon
B.A Modern and Classical Arab Literature
Life Achievements: Publishing 250 plus Books and 1000 plus articles